Aaron Lech, OD, FAAO has always been a huge mentor and friend to NewGradOptometry and has helped us grow as a publication. We’d like to give back by supporting his mission trip to support the underserved people of Andhra Pradesh, India with eyecare and healthcare.
This coming October and November 2017 Dr. Lech and his team will be traveling to the state of Andhra Pradesh, India to provide ophthalmic and medical services to the underserved in India.
With the support of New Hope Ministries, an NGO based in India and Healthbridge Global, they will provide surgical, medical/refractive eye care and medical services. This will be their 10th trip since 2003.
During their most recent mission in 2016, they conducted over 7,000 acute and general evaluations, provided 1,700 (new) pairs of glasses, provided over 400 cataract surgeries, and distributed a host of ophthalmic and oral medications.
This trip, with the aid of 3 O.D.s and 3 M.D.s, they will aim to serve over 8,000 people, distributing oral and ophthalmic medications to 3,500 patients, providing 600-800 cataract surgeries, and manufacturing 2000 pairs of new glasses in just 5 days of clinic.
Support This Mission Trip!
Please visit the Healthbridge Global website to learn more, and use their donation page and choose I CARE FOR INDIA to make a contribution of any size with credit card. You can also support the mission trip by supplying the products requested below and sending them to Dr. Aaron Lech, 114 N. Sunrise Ave., Ste. C2, Roseville, CA 95661-2916.
Aaron Lech, O.D., F.A.A.O
- 114 N. Sunrise Ave., Ste C2 / Roseville, CA 95661-2916
- Phone: (916) 786-2212
- Fax: (916) 786-2393
- CA license 11839
- NPI: 1053365254
- DEA: ML1177903
Rob Johnson, M.D.
- NPI: 1427013473
- DEA: BJ7112977
Kevin Maxwell, M.D.
- NPI: 1659396323
- 27 adults / 3 kids (7, 9 and 13)
- 3 ODs
- 1 internist (MD)
- 1 family practice (MD)
- 1 dentist (DDS)
- The majority without any medical or vision care experience
- 60% of the team were veterans of previous missions to the same sets of villages
- For some it was their 5th, 6th or even 7th trip since 2004
- Chillakalu [Po], Krishna [Dist], AP, South India 521178
- Dr. S. V. Narasimha Rao, Ophthalmologist – Jaggayyapet
- October 23rd – November 4th, 2017
- Healthbridge Global P.O. Box 5294 Auburn, CA 95607 — Tax ID: 27-4411487
- New Hope Ministries India P.O. Box 336 Plainfield, IN 46168 — Tax ID: 27-3527923
Scope of Work:
- 5 days of clinic (10 days including 3.5 days of travel and 1.5 days of acclimating)
- 3 different village locations
- 7,000 total patients examined and treated
- 4,000 patients for eye care services
- 3,000 patients see for general medical and dental services
- 1,700 glasses made to order
- 2,000 reading glasses dispensed
- 2,000 sunglasses dispensed
- 400 cataract surgeries performed and supplied with medications, IOLs and surgical drapes
- 3,000 bottles or pharmaceutical supplies given or administered
- 1,000 general medical patients treated with supplied/purchased medications for acute conditions
- 100 additional patients coordinated ongoing care post our departure
Exam Equipment Used:
- Cirrus 5000 OCT
- 3 Smart Vision Auto-refractors
- 3 tonopens
- A1C unit
- Multiple BP cuffs
- 5 Binocular indirect ophthalmoscopes
- 3 sets of direct ophthalmoscopes and retinoscopes + extra batteries
- 3, 14D and and 3, -20D condensing lenses
- 2 tonopen or equivalent
- 1 hand held auto-refractor with charging base
- 1 foreign body kit
- 5 occluders
- 1 trial lens set and frame
- VSP Global
- ABB Optical
- Zeiss Meditec
- Allergan Pharmaceuticals
- Alcon Pharmaceuticals
- B + L Pharmaceuticals
- B + L Surgical
- PERC (Profession Eyecare Resource Co-Operative)
- Smart Vision Labs
- Walman Optical
- ClearVue Eye Care
- Sankara Eye Hospital
Approximate Number of Patients:
- 8,000 evaluations
- 600-800 cataract extractions
- 1,000 Children’s Frames
- 1,000 Men’s Frames
- 1,000 Women’s Frames
- 2,000 OTC reading glasses assorted powers
- (2) Hand-held direct ophthalmoscope/retinoscope/transilluminator
- (2) Binocular Indirect Ophthalmoscope
- (2) Tonopen or equivalent tonometer
Records of the products received will be retained, and can be made available to the IRS upon request. We understand that it is our responsibility to comply with applicable food and drug administration (FDA), export administration regulations (EAR), and import laws, including ministries of health (MOH) requirements of the importing country. All physical goods donations can be shipped to:
Attn: Dr. Aaron Lech
114 N. Sunrise Ave., Ste. C2
Roseville, CA 95661-2916
Any donations of financial support can be sent to:
Healthbridge Global c/o icare4India Project
P.O. Box 5294
Auburn, CA 95604
Support This Mission Trip!
Please visit the Healthbridge Global website to learn more, and use their donation page and choose I CARE FOR INDIA to make a contribution of any size with credit card. You can also support the mission trip by supplying the products requested above and sending them to Dr. Aaron Lech, 114 N. Sunrise Ave., Ste. C2, Roseville, CA 95661-2916.