There are many optometric websites that can be extremely helpful for new clinicians as they graduate from school and begin to practice. This list contains few of these many resources. This is simply a starting point, and by no means represents a complete list of resources.
Staying up to date with clinical knowledge:
- Optometric Retina Society – provides the most current trends, research, and literature on retinal disease, and provides a great resource to expand one’s vitreo-retinal knowledge. Gain access to great sources of information including countless links to online journals and educational resources.
- Optometric Glaucoma Society – provides the latest research and studies in the arena of glaucoma to help further an eye care professional’s clinical acumen in the diagnosis, treatment, and management of glaucoma patients.
- Parxsolutions – helps you obtain prior approval for your patients so they can utilize any medically necessary therapeutic treatments.
- Goodrx – for patients who don’t have insurance, this site will list all the pharmacies in the area and their prices for specific medications, and coupons if available to help mitigate costs. Can also be used by patients who do have insurance but have large co-pays or need medications not covered by their plan.
Obtaining Sample Medications for patients:
- Allerganaces – promotions from Allergan. Can also obtain various samples from enrolling in the Allergan JUMPSTART Program.
- Mysamplecloset – promotions from various drug companies, most recently Bausch and Lomb.
Information on the state of optometry:
- Bls.gov –can provide information, statistics, salaries, number of providers etc. for all geographic locations in the United States. Very helpful for those graduates looking at different areas to begin a career or open up a new practice. Search the Occupational Outlook Handbook for aforementioned information.
- Myeyestore – allows you to create an online shopping center for optical sales / frame sales for your practice
- Getlisted – allows you to see how your practice is listed on the Internet by various search engines and what information is contained within these listings. Can show you which search engines lack listings for your practice and provides suggestions for additional entities of publishing ie: Foursquare, Google+, Yelp, Hotfrog, etc. Provides a means to utilize these services to provide increased awareness for your practice.
- Mailchimp – allows you to design and send email marketing. Very helpful for those appointment reminders or if you want to send out a monthly newsletter regarding your practice and new developments.
Keep a look out for updates and please share your favorite websites in the comments section below!