Getting Started as an Optometrist in New York

This article will talk about how to get started as an optometrist in New York State.  It’s a step-by-step guide showing you steps to get your optometry license upon graduation and passing NBEO Parts I, II, and III.  In addition, I will discuss getting malpractice insurance and show you a few places you can start looking for jobs!

Step 1: Getting your license

Step 2: Getting malpractice insurance

Step 3: Finding jobs

By the way, whether you are an optometry student, new graduate optometrist, or senior optometrist, you should see which optometry practices are looking to network and hire on CovalentCareers!

Do you have any questions about this? Our entire team (and myself) will help you if you post in the comments below! You will need to register or login.

The author of the content you just read, put in lots of work to provide you with this article. Even though we try our best, there is no guarantee the article is error free., its sponsors, advertisers, staff and writers make no representation, warranty, or guarantee that this article and its contents are error-free and will bear no responsibility or liability for the results or consequences of the information contained within.

About Quy Nguyen, O.D.

Quy Nguyen


  1. Hello,

    I Just graduated from optometry school and applying for all the paper work. I already have my license from NYS. As of now I’m still unemployed. I wanted to apply for NPI, and CAQH, but it looks like I need to have a job while applying for it. Also, I wanted to apply for Medicare (PTAN), but I need my NPI before I do so. Moreover, should I apply for prescription pad or they are not used anymore? What about DEA? Is there anything that I have missed? Sorry for asking such dumb questions just making sure that I’m not missing anything, especially since you have been through this already.

    Thank you!

    • Matthew Geller

      Hey Orochka,

      I am pretty sure you need a practice location for NPI, CAQH and of course Medicare. With that being the case, you might be able to associate your NPI with your home address and change it later. Go ahead and call NPPES and ask them – Here you go! 1-800-465-3203 (NPI Toll-Free).

      Medicare you will absolutely need a practice location and CAQH as well. Also, wait for your Rx pad because your employer will likely pay for it when you get your first position. Also, DEA isn’t necessary unless you plan to Rx class 3 controlled substances. I personally didn’t get mine yet because of the cost and the my low rate of needing to Rx those types of drugs.

      You didn’t miss much and your questions aren’t dumb, they are all good questions!

      If anything else comes up, just post in the comments. Let me know what NPPES says!!

      -Matt Geller

Leave a Reply

Send this to a friend